PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Monday, February 6, 2012

MENU monday.

It's Monday already! The weekend always seems to go by so fast doesn't it? There was so much I wanted to get done this weekend and crafts I wanted to start.. but didn't get to them. I did start making some stuff for Valentine's Day :) That post will come later this week.

As for today... well first off - I LOVE garage sale-ing.. like really LOVE it! This past summer I was between jobs and I was able to go almost every weekend! This summer might be different.. Friday's wont be open for me anymore.. :( I don't know what I'll do!

This past summer I found a framed chalkboard for $3! It was green (which I wasn't a huge fan of..) but I thought of a perfect idea for it for my wedding this past fall. With a little spray paint, sand-paper and time, this is how it looks now and how I used it for the wedding.




I made up the creative rhyme and then put it next to all the glasses which were used for the seating chart in the hors d'oeuvres room  :). I realize I don't have any wedding photos up... I'll be sure to do a post of those too! :)


Well.. after that I knew I wanted to hang it up in our house somewhere. Well a couple weeks ago I decided it would be a perfect idea for a menu board! Here it is now in our house... and don't mind those old bananas.. they will be banana muffins later this week! :)

Lately I have been trying to make different types of meals at least three times a week instead of always making chicken and pasta (we love both so much!) It's been great trying out different recipes I find in cookbooks, magazines and pinterest.

I decided to dedicate my Monday blog posts to MENU mondays! Each Monday I'll share a meal I made, where it's from, how it was, and the recipe! :)

Whenever I make something new there are always 2 key questions I ask B.. 1. Do you like it? and 2. Would you eat it again? I have him answer me after the meal is over, sometimes the first bite can be deceiving. It works great and I can figure out if the recipe is worth keeping!

This week I found a recipe from Good Housekeeping. It was called Upside-Down Shepherd's Pie. Normally shepherd's pie has the mashed potatoes on the top and everything packed in underneath. This one is just the opposite.


Here is how it turned out. Please don't judge the meal by the photo! I know it doesn't look like very appealing.. but B gave me a double thumbs up with this one! (For the next meals I'll try softer lighting to it looks more desirable.. haha)

Here is the recipe:

Upside-down Sheperd's Pie
Total Time: 20 Minutes (I think this is about accurate too..)
Makes: 4 servings (We only got 3 servings out of it. My husband likes to eat :))

1 package (approx. 20 ounces) of mashed potatoes. It says use ones that are left over.. but I made mine fresh that evening.
1 pound of ground beef. It suggests 90%; I used 85%
1 tablespoon butter or margarine* (I didn't use this; look below for 'substitute')
1 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon dillweed
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream (I use real sour cream :))

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray baking dish with non-stick spray. Press potatoes into bottom and up side of dish. Bake potatoes crust until edge is golden (approx. 20 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat until no longer pink. (approx. 4-5 minutes). Move beef onto plate.
3. In skillet, melt butter over medium heat* (again, I didn't use the butter. I kept the grease from the meat in the pan instead). Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown (approx. 6-7 minutes).
4. Return beef to skillet with onion. Stir in ketchup and dillweed. Reduce heat to low; stir in parsley and sour cream. To serve, spoon ground beef mixture into mashed potato crust.

I paired the shepherd's pie up with some cooked carrots :). I always like having sides with my meals.

Ratings: Double thumbs up from B. I really liked it too! It was great when reheated if you do left overs. It's all about the left overs in our home - when B doesn't eat it all the first time around ;). Definitely keeping this recipe for use again!



I love trying new recipes, feel free to share some of your families favorite meals with me! I'd love to try them myself :)

Hope you have a great start to your week!

- Jennifer - 

1 comment:

  1. We are twinsies! He he. Hubby and I ALWAYS have chicken and pasta for dinner. (:
    I have some recipes on pinterest that I try too.. but I want to do it more.

    I have been looking for a chalkboard for forever! That is EXACTLY what I want to do with the menu. I never know what to cook or what my husband is in the mood for.. and usually result to chicken and pasta. haha. I figured that way he always knew what we were having and I always knew what to cook and how to shop!
    Hope I find one soon!!!

    -Monica

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for reading! i love all your comments and emails - they brighten my day! :) i do read each one and respond too!
- if you are a nonreply commenter, please please please leave your email address! i would LOVE to connect wtih you too! -
xo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...