where did monday go?? where did february go???! this month has gone by soo fast!
i hope you all had a great weekend and were able to get some fun things done. i didn't get to craft this weekend.. i need to do some major house cleaning. maybe it's because it feels like spring out and it's only the middle of winter! this had been the mildest winter i can remember!!
as for this week.. now that the house is in order and we are working on doing little things throughout the week to keep the house cleaner too - this leaves much more room for crafts and fun! :)
this weeks recipe is called apple-dijon chicken. who would have thought apples and mustard could go together?? i was skeptical and that was part of the reason i wanted to try this one out! i was also nervous because b doesn't even like mustard (i read the recipe before hand and it didn't call for too much :))
it ended up being super tasty!
this recipe is from good housekeeping fast weeknight favorites (same one as the upside-down shepherd's pie).
here's the recipe:
total time: 25 minutes (i agree with the time)
makes: 4 servings (again.. ours was about 3 :))
4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 golden delicious apples, each cored and cut crosswise into 6 rings (i didn't use golden delicious.. i love honeycrisp apples!!)
1 small red onion, sliced
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (ours wasn't reduced.. our home doesn't do 'fat free', 'sugar free', 'reduced' stuff)
2 tablespoons maple syrup (b loooooooves maple syrup, i think this made up for the mustard ;) - and it's double the amount!)
1 tablespoon dijon mustard with seeds (i couldn't find with seeds!!! :( if you know where to get some.. please help fill me in!!)
1/3 cup half and half
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. with meat mallet, or between two sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper with rolling pin, pound chicken breast halves to even 1/2 inch thickness; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. (i have to admit.. i completely deleted this step and cooked my chicken with my own seasonings! ha)
2. in non-stick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. add chicken breasts and cook, turning once, until browning on both sides and chicken loses its pink color throughout, about 6 to 7 minutes transfer chicken breasts to platter; cover loosely with foil to keep warm. do not wash skillet.
3. meanwhile, in microwave-safe pie plate, combine apples and onion. cover with waxed paper and microwave on high, stirring once, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
4. add apple mixture to skillet and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. add broth, maple syrup, mustard and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. cook until broth mixture is slightly reduced, about 2 minutes.
5. in small bowl, blend half and half and cornstarch until smooth; stir into apple mixture with juices from platter. cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute. to serve, spoon sauce over chicken.
ratings: b gave it a double thumbs up (even with the mustard!!!!) he said he would definitely eat it again.
i paired this meal with a caesar salad with fresh greens and spinach, tomatoes and cheese. it was delish!
i apologize about the horrible photos of the food.. the recipe books make these look so much tastier! but again, don't judge the taste and flavor from a photo :)
have a fab monday!
- jennifer -